Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sabali

New Years 2010/11 came around and found me embarking on a roadtrip to Namibia with 6 close friends. It took us 24 hours to complete a journey that would've normally taken 11 hours, but for some idiotic reason we thought the shortcut through the desert would be a shortcut. Take note: shortcuts through deserts are NEVER shortcuts. With a small Renault Clio stuffed with 5 people and a Corsa Cab with the other 2, we finally made it through the endless nothingness with our sanity barely intact. We camped out in the coastal town of Swakopmund for a few days to experience the massive beach parties, then headed east towards the great Namibian capital Windhoek. There we proceeded to party some more with our local german friends, and from there travelled to what would become one of my favourite places in the world. On a cattle farm in the bush, between Okahandja and Otjiwarongo, I experienced that peace of mind once again. Our three days there consisted of tropical thunderstorms, true farm lifestyle, star-gazing, private game drives (slightly intoxicated) and the amazing dam in the photo above. There we rowed out to the tree house and sat and watched the sunset, or just messed about in the water.

My trip might have been filled with my familiar friends and a lot of drinking, but I couldn't stop to think in between all the amazing nature - oh Africa, my Africa. How I can't and shan't ever be able to leave your beauty

I also fell in love with a certain song - Sabali by Amadou&Miriam (produced by Gorillaz). No song describes the feeling you get when driving through the African landscape more. Go ahead and YouTube it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KhFv1qJcao.

No comments:

Post a Comment